LINKS & RESOURCES
- American Chestnut Foundation, Connecticut Chapter of The
- American Forests – Nonprofit conservation organization planting trees for environmental restoration, involved in science and practice of urban forestry and communication of benefits of forests.
- American Tree Farm System – establishes standards and guidelines to become a certified Tree Farm.
- Basic guide to tree identification
- Bluebirds: basics, landscaping to attract, suet recipes, managing house sparrows, etc.
- Chestnut Growers – proceedings on conference on restoring Chestnuts to American forests
- Choosing the right tree – index of species information
- Connecticut Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Connecticut Forest and Parks Association
- Connecticut Tree Protective Association
- CT Department of Environmental Protection
- Application form for the Recreation and Natural Heritage Trust Program (grant program for acquiring open space)
- CT Professional Timber Producer’s Organization. They sponsor CEU courses, which are listed on the website.
- Forest Stewardship Council
- Forest Suppliers Inc. – selling a wide range of forestry related items ranging from safety equipment to GPS units
- Horse Logging – when it makes sense, list of loggers in the Northeast
- Killingly Conservation Commission – including maps, parks and recreational activities
- New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) – a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to conservation
and management of New England’s working forests.
- Northeast Center for Cooperative Forestry – a partnership supporting research and coordinating info exchange among states.
- Quiet Corner Garden Club – encouraging interest in gardening, working on community and beautification projects
- UCONN Cooperative Extension Forestry – general local forestry information, publications,
useful forestry links.
- Stone Wall Initiative – clearinghouse for information and activities regarding the appreciation, investigation, and preservation of stone walls, with a focus on historic walls of the Northeastern U.S.
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- Tax tips for forest landowners, US Forest Service
- The Last Green Valley
- Tree Wardens Association of America
- Our Better Nature – educational articles on environmental protection and conservation
- UCONN Cooperative Extension Service: Extension Forestry Contacts, Wildlife Conservation Research Center, Coverts Project, Meskwaka Tree Project, Publications Info Sheets on Forest Stewardship
- USDA Forest Service
- USDA Plants Database
- National Woodland Forest Owners Association – independent organization promoting interests of non-industrial forestry.
- Voss Signs – sell post, No ATV signs, etc.
- Woodstock Conservation Commission: forestry, invasives, wildlife/timber management, etc.
- Yale Myers Forest – 7,840 acres in Woodstock, Ashford, Eastford and Union used for education, research and harvesting. This forest is certified by both the Sustainable Forestry Initiative and the Forest Stewardship Council.
- DEP Division of Forestry Service Officer for the Woodstock area. Forest land owners may request that the Forestry Service Officer inspect their forest, and provide general recommendations on forest management.
Sherwood (Dick) Raymond (860) 455-0699
Goodwin State Forest
23 Potter Road
North Windham CT 06256